Tuesday, May 24, 2005

My son earns $3k. How bout yours?

A relative called out of the blue a few months back, and asked if I was free on a particular Sunday. She said an organization she was involved in was having a charity night and wanted to extend the invitation to me. I declined the invitation as I had plans. But she went: “It’s okay if you can’t make it. But perhaps you would still like to sponsor the dinner.” I asked how much it would cost me. She named a price, and being kinda low at that time, as well as it being the end of the month, I told her I will call her back to confirm if I could make it or sponsor the dinner.

To my surprise (and horror, for having such a relative), she went: “You mean you can’t even sponsor such a small amount? How long have you been working ah? Are you telling me you haven’t got any savings? How much do you earn that you can’t even contribute?”

Excuse me, but I thought that was for charity. As to whether I have savings or how much I am earning, I don’t think that’s any business of hers.

The very same woman relative who practically forced me into contributing for charity is also the one who used to call only when examination results were announced. Once, she called to ask how my sister fared in her SPM examination. My sister has left explicit instructions that her results were not to be revealed to this particular relative. Not that she flunk. And it wasn’t like she did very badly. She just hated the fact that this relative was so busybody. Well, you get the idea.

I told my relative that she should ask my sister herself. And she very rudely said: "What? You are the sister and you don’t even know her results? What kind of sister are you?" She is supposed to be holding a MBA yet acted so uneducated. I have known people who have had lower education yet have way better manners and obviously not so busybody.

Now, this very same relative and her husband came to visit us and boasted about their son going to England to study (yeah, like their son is the only one in Malaysia able to go to England), about how their son can create a website without even going for lessons (hello, but even primary school kids know how to, so what’s the big deal?) and that their son rides a Harley (bought by the parents, so what’s the bid deal again?). After making a big deal about his son, the husband proceeded to ask my parents: “So, which country will your children be going to for their tertiary education?” Apparently, it did not matter that we are all working. The question had to be asked to drive the point across – that his son was going overseas to study.

Can you blame us when they called recently to announce their plan to visit and we all suddenly had plans and shot out of the house in no time?

Yet another relative called recently, on the pretext of asking how I was doing since she heard that I've already gotten married. Before I could even answer her, she proceeded to ask me my husband's occupation and how much he is earning. Not wanting to divulge too much, I answered vaguely by saying: "Oh, he earns enough for the both of us." And my relative went: "So, exactly how much lah?"

Goodness, haven't these people got a life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home