Saturday, May 28, 2005

An Angel and A Harp

Went to a musical yesterday, at The Actors’ Studio in Bangsar Shopping Complex. There were the singers, a pianist, a violinist … and a harpist. The singers were dressed colourfully and the lights playing on the stage reflected a rainbow of colours on the harp. Then in walked the harpist, dressed in white. And when the choir began to sing, it felt very much like I was in heaven, listening to a choir of angels, and an angel playing the harp. The harpist was a picture of gracefulness as she manoeuvred the strings deftly with her fingers. I was filled with wonder. Even the impressive play by the violinist failed to impress me as much.

The baby in me seemed to appreciate the music as much as I did. He was so peaceful when the harpist was playing. And when everyone applauded, he applauded in his own way as well. At least, that was what I thought as he was moving as the audience applauded.

My mind began to wander as the applause died down. I thought: Hmn … I would surely encourage my daughter when I have one) to play the harp. And get my children to learn how to play the piano, the violin … get them to learn how to sing … and maybe one day, my husband and I will be the proud parents sitting in the audience, watching our children perform. Oh, how proud we would be.

I was jolted back to reality just as the singers began their next song. I chided myself for such thoughts. I remember looking at kids nowadays and thought that I will never be dragged into pushing my own kids into doing things they may not like.

I have seen kids saddled with so many classes nowadays … they had computer, piano, violin, singing, art, swimming, martial arts lessons and who knows what else … not to mention tuition classes. I once came across in the Classifieds an ad seeking a lived-in tutor to teach a 5 year old kid French, Mandarin and other lessons. I read the ad in horror, wondering what kind of life the kid will have to grow up in.

These kids, they have no say in the things they do. They have no time just to be kids. No time to play with children their age. Their entire lives have been planned ahead for them. It’s like they are princes and princesses being groomed to face the world as future Kings and Queens. How sad that they have to live such lives.

As kids, my siblings and I were never pushed into doing things. Of course, there were the occasional “I’m disappointed in you!” when we didn’t do well in examinations. My parent encouraged us when we chose to dabble in sports, and if we didn’t it was alright. They reminded us that a good education is important. But they never told us we must be involved in this and that. They never did plan our lives for us.

I grew up making my own decisions, in knowing that I will also have to bear the consequences of those decisions. Therefore, whatever I do, I know I have the responsibility to think through it carefully. My parents will only give their advice. They don’t force us to make decisions or to do things according to their way.

And as I see these kids, I can’t help but wonder. How will they learn to make their decisions, to think the pros and cons of their actions when their whole lives have been planned ahead for them? I’m sure there are those who play the piano or sing only because their parents arranged for them to. They have no interest whatsoever in the things they do. And for all their parents know, they could have set their eyes on something else, which was probably ridiculed or they have not been given the chance to try their hands on.

I hope that my husband and I will not one day do such things to my children … that we will let them be themselves … that we will give advice and guidance … what they intend to do with their lives is entirely up to them. It would be nice of course if they turned out to be really important people - people who make a difference in the lives of others. But if they don’t, it’s alright. They will still be God’s precious gifts to us. And still special in our eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home