Love and Gardening
My mom, she loves gardening. My dad … ah, you guessed it, he is the opposite. Mom has got pots and pots of flowering plants at home. Lately she has added to her collection of potted friends some chilli plant and limau kasturi. She has even got something similar to a Christmas tree (look I have no idea what it’s called. All I know is it looks like a Christmas tree).Dad will surely ngee ngee ngor ngor (Cantonese for nag) whenever Mom got something to add to her collection. Before the recent Chinese New Year, mom, dear hubby and I went to Carrefour to shop. And there, standing majestically and gloriously (at least that was what mom thought) were pots and pots of limau kasturi plant. It was going cheap and she just had to get one pot. But she was also afraid of what dad might say.
So mom conspired with me and hubby. If dad asked, she would say that it belongs to us. And we were to nod our heads in agreement. So we finally got “our” pot of limau kasturi home. By the time we got home, the plant had 5 fruit less. Dear hubby, being the co-conspirator and also because of his love for sourish food had managed to down 5 of ‘em.
And sure enough, dad was there to nag and mom very innocently said: “It’s not mine. It’s theirs”. Of course we nodded our head innocently as well, albeit a bit too fast.
However, despite his disapproval and naggings, dad will faithfully water the plants every morning and evening. Of course, he will complain about it, too. Bout how he had to keep telling mom not to get more plants and that she never listens and how he always end up having to take care of the plants.
Dear hubby, he loves gardening too. And oho! Not me. So, he and mom are very kamching because they share the same interest. Mom will give him lots and lots of plants to bring back to our place. And like dad, I will always voice my disapproval. I told him I wasn’t going to water the plants and no way was I going take care of the plants for him.
But day after day (whenever I go back to our place), I will water the plants. And if I don’t, I will make sure he does. I guess that’s just what love is about. No matter how you dislike what your partner is doing, you end up doing it for him/her. Coz at the end of the day, what matters most is that he/she is happy. Then you’ll be happy, too.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home