Sunday, January 27, 2008

When the Kids Fall Sick ...



These past two weeks have been really exhaustive for me, with the kids falling sick one after the other. First Leanne had high fever for six consecutive days, owing to a middle ear infection. I did not really sleep for those six days. Waking up every hour or so to wipe her with a damp cloth was becoming a routine.

For that I was rewarded with a severe migraine. At one point of time, I actually felt like chopping my head off. It didn’t help that when I overslept one day and called in to say that I was gonna be a bit late and was replied with: This is not an excuse. You know that this reason is not acceptable. Well, I suppose I should have lied then? When I said that I didn’t have enough sleep as my daughter was sick, I was retorted with: Eh, I have two kids too and both of them are sick too! Sigh!!!

Just as Leanne was beginning to recover from her high fever marathon, Sean had intestinal infection. Everything that goes into his stomach came right out, even in the middle of the night. At one point of time, I had to wake up at 2am to change the bed sheet. Need I even describe the smell of milk that has been in the stomach for a few hours? Ugh!!

Leanne started having fever again after a 5 day hiatus. I was feeling a bit frantic because it’s very unusual for one to have fever for so many days and especially so since she is only 5 month old. 3 days later, we found out why. She had measles.

Leanne is recovering now. I hope she doesn’t get sick again anytime soon, or for the matter of fact, not for a long time, or not at all. This chain of events reinforces what I’ve always been telling expecting mothers – the baby’s gender does not matter, as long as he/she is healthy. Coz when they are not, you just don’t the feeling of helplessness and worry that comes with it.

When Sean was about 2 month old, I came home to find red spots all over his body. I asked mom if she knew what they were and she said that they were most probably mosquito’s bites. Intuition got the better of me and I decided to take him to a doctor. The doctor can laugh at me for all I care but I had to be sure.

One look at Sean, the GP said it was something serious, that he was hemorrhaging under the skin, hence the red spots. He referred us to a specialist who in turn referred us to HUKM, where Sean was born. A blood test confirmed that his platelet count was severely low, not unlike dengue fever, only he didn’t have dengue.

We were ushered into a room where the doctor told me to wait outside. I had no idea what was going to happen. But I know that when he started screaming and screaming at the top of his lungs, I felt utterly helpless. I could only sit there and cry. I later found out that they could not find his veins as they needed to give him a transfusion, so they had to poke his hands for more than 60 times. My goodness!

Sean was admitted for 4 days. Those 4 days were a roller-coaster ride for us as far as our emotions were concerned. After the first transfusion, his platelet count went up, only to drop again a few hours later. It was the same after the second transfusion. Finally, they gave him a series of 3 bottles of medication before his platelet count went back to normal.

Till this day, I can remember Sean’s screams. I pray that other parents do not have to go though a similar experience.




2 Comments:

At Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:27:00 PM , Blogger m r z ' 7 7 said...

dats so mean. hmmmph, some ppl just dont understand how important our kids are... we work hard to support 'em but we can still live without working but not without 'em... sighs..

kesian ur leanne. u r a tough mom karen! i really respect u..
nadhrah also was down with fever and cirit birit last week, her 5th tooth now..even that got me worried. but my mom calm me down la, i didnt take leave, one said he could bring her alone.

yea.. tell me bout it..when i was pregnant ppl often ask what gender wud we prefer, our answer was always tak kisah, janji dia sihat.

just 2 share with u my experience during labour,dah lama tak borak2 dgn u, i enjoy our short chats a lot! btw, back 2 my story.. a fren of my moms sms when i was already admitted into hospital, waiting for labour..which said life being a mom has lots of dugaan n cabaran, we'll always go thru challenges that test our patience from the very day of labour, but being a mother u'll love your child endlessly no matter what n yada2. I find it very true, I had difficulty in delivering, as my baby didn't go down to the pelvics, even after 9 hrs later n until was already 10cm open..that whole 12 hrs was painful, but yet when doc said that they might need to vaccum, i terus pujuk my husband n my husband told the doc i wanna go for ceasar. even tho its much2 better to give birth normally, u heal faster n such. a lady who was at the bed across me had to vaccum, and her baby was in icu for 2 days, had some luka on the head becos of the vaccum.. i was crying insisting one to tell the doctor. seriously at that time, i dont care what happens to me, as long as my baby is gonna be fine. and also during waiting for it to open up, i remembered all ppl's advices n wishes, including what u told me karen..its really meaning full to me.

 
At Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:41:00 PM , Blogger m r z ' 7 7 said...

hehe.. sorry my story is a bit rojak, but its hard for me to type as fast as i think.

yea.. i totally understand the feeling of helplessness. its so hurting. even now, watching movies related to child sickness i would cry.. begitu emosi sekali. i am emotional now, dunno laa.. teruk teruk. hahaha.

karen, thank again for refering me yea! :) did ella tell you anything about the designs?

n karen, this is an advance invite,just wanna book u, so that ull make time for it, i would like to invite you to my hsewarming. we'll only gonna do it in may, together with nadhrah's bday.. budget issues and also time, have to concentrate finishing our project/thesis, submitting in may.
pls do come yea bring ur 2 darlings n hubby..ill let u know on the exact dates later.

take care.
luv luv

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home