Selfish Me
Today enters the fourth day of the search and rescue operation to look for the missing Nuri helicopter with its six crew members. I’ve been reading the papers the past four days hoping that there is good news. I’m not related to any of the missing crew members. But I can empathize with what the crew’s spouses and family members are going through.I can’t say that I can completely understand how they feel, coz I have never experienced what they are experiencing. I pray I never will. But there looms the danger of something like this happening, with dear hubby being in the military.
Recently, when he told me the possibility of him being drafted to Lebanon for an unspecified period, I nearly had a heart attack. He was very positive about it, saying that he wouldn’t mind the opportunity to look at another country. But Lebanon? How do I tell him that I didn’t want him to be there? That I will pray he will end up not going. That I wished it was someone else going instead of him? But he wanted to. Should I be supportive, as a wife should be? Or do I discourage him? Thank God, I did not have to make that decision.
But as I prayed and hoped that my husband did not have to go to Lebanon and that someone else will be going instead of him, it occurred to me how selfish that thought was. Why am I wishing for someone else’s son/husband/father/brother to be sent there in return for the safety of my own husband? Just so that I needn’t worry, and needn’t go through a similar experience like the one the family members of the missing Nuri crew members are experiencing now? The father of my children is serving in the military and this is something I should expect and are expected to be strong in going through.
I will continue to pray that my husband do not get send there. I will also pray that no one has to go in his place as well. But most of all, I pray that whatever wars, big or small, that are going on out there will stop. And that the people involved in starting such wars will not be so selfish, and stop making wars for their personal agendas.
And to the missing crew of the Nuri helicopter, I pray for your safety. And to their family members, be strong! I pray that your loved ones will be found soon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home